Monday, August 16, 2010

Hallongrottor

So it seems that vegan recipes were what people were more excited about. One person said he would be curious to see vegan hallongrottor, as he has tried and failed in the past. I found a few recipes, bookmarked them, then moved on thinking I'd do it later. Then I got a craving for them (damn you!). I searched a few more recipes and the majority of them had a lot of complicated ingredients. Then I found this recipe. The comments were positive, it came from a vegan Swede, only 5 ingredients, all of which I had. So why not? They're currently in the oven, waiting to be done and eaten.

The dough was a bit difficult to work with. It crumbled very easily. As a result, I had to make bigger cookies. Now, onto the results.

They're pretty good. The cookie came out soft and melted in my mouth. It crumbled a little too easily for my liking. But for having only 5 ingredients, they're pretty damn good. Pretty, too. If I had a working camera I would have taken a picture. I suggest eating them with a cup of soy milk or coffee. I'm having coffee with them and it's very satisfying!

Definitely something to add to the smörgåsbord.

Here's the recipe (by vegbitch)
Vegan Hallongrottor:

* 450 ml (just under two cups) flour
* 100 ml (just under ½ cup) sugar
* 200gr (7 oz) (just under 1 cup) vegan margarine
* 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract)
* raspberry jam (I didn't have this, so I used lingonberry jam instead)

Turn oven to 175 C or 350F. Cream sugar, margarine and vanilla extract together. Mix in the flour and work into a dough ball. Fridge the dough for about 20 minutes. Roll the dough into about 30 little balls about 2 cm in diameter (or about an inch), flatten them a little and put on parchment paper on a baking tray. Make a little thumbprint in them (make the print bigger for more jam!) and fill them with some jam. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes (mine were in for about 20 minutes. Every oven is different) until they’ve turned just a little bit golden.


If you made these, tell me what you thought, send pictures, etc.
Hej då!

5 comments:

  1. thank you SO MUCH!! argh I couldn't tell you of the disasters I created. want to know why? because I had completely forgotten about vegan margarine! now that I see it, it seems so obvious

    oh and also i sometimes reduce the amount of regular sugar, and replace that with vanilla sugar :) gives it a little extra kick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that sounds good, I will give it a try, but fyi according to many swedes I know and love Hallon and Lingon sylt are not interchangeable. Just try to serve lingonsylt with pancakes to a swede - a faux pas - hallon is for sweet, lingon for savory (ie meat - pah)... or so that has been my experience - and no, I don't get why :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I've heard it's better to use Strawberry than Lingonberry. Unfortunatelly, I was out of raspberry so I had to make due.
    I guess it's kind of like cranberry sauce. It's typically used with turkey and stuffing in our Thanksgiving/Christmas meals.
    FYI, lingonsylt was delicious in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recepy! :)

    May I ask - why didn't you use some baking powder?

    ReplyDelete