Monday, September 26, 2011

Pickled Beets (Inlagda Rödbetor)

Hallå

I was cleaning out my fridge today and noticed that my weekly organic veggie delivery had given me lots and lots beets. I'm not a huge beet-eater. I mainly roast them with other veggies or grate them with potatoes and fry them. I sat there, staring at these big red bulbs thinking about new recipe ideas. Then it came to me. Pickled beets!

I had seen recipes for pickled beets on Swedish recipe websites before but only skimmed over them due to my lack of a love for beets. I've been getting the urge to pickle something lately so it all just made sense. I looked at a few recipes and came up with this one based on what I saw. It's very simple and requires very minor prep work.

Inlagda rödbetor
2 cups chopped (or sliced) and cooked beets
1/2 cup vinegar (I used a mix of white and apple cider)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried dill (optional)
1/2 tablespoon dried mustard seed (optional)
4 allspice kernels (optional)
A clean container to hold them in (glass jars are preferred)


1) Put the cooked beets in your jar. If you bought canned beets, rinse them off first.
2) Boil the rest of the ingredients together until the sugar disintegrates and the liquid thickens. Let it cool slightly.
3) Pour the liquid over the beets. If the liquid doesn't cover all of the beets, you can either make more or just add some water if it's only a tiny amount not covered. Use your own discretion.
4) Cover and store someplace dark and cool for at least 12 hours. They'll last for up to 4 months. The longer they sit the stronger the flavor will be.


I'll be eating them with some potatoes and a new köttbullar recipe tonight. If the köttbullar are successful, I'll post the recipe in the next couple of days.

As always, skål!

No comments:

Post a Comment