Thursday, September 22, 2011

Skagen

God dag! I've been really busy all summer. Or rather, I've been busy trying to get busy. Job hunting is a major pain. Anyways, now that I have a more regular schedule I hope I can update this blog more regularly. We shall see...

I love IKEA. What's not to love? It's Swedish and sells pretty, cheap furniture and decorations. But the best part was always the food at the end. I always got their shrimp salad sandwiches. I craved them. I used to drive an hour to IKEA just to get the sandwich.

As I grew into my love for all things Norse, I learned the traditional name: Skagen. Created in Sweden but named after a northern Danish town (correct me if I'm wrong). I found recipes and tried each one and was eventually able to out-do IKEA's.

I was devastated when I stopped eating fish. What would I do? How could I replace this hole that was now in my heart and soul. I took to the web and grew more and more irritated with all the recipes asking for vegan shrimp or prawns. I can't find them here. I've looked everywhere! But after some testing and creating, I found a recipe that I and my boyfriend love.

Skagen

You will need
1 cup firm tofu
1/3 cup red onion (green onion and chives can be used)
A little less than half a cup of veggie mayonnaise (vegan sour cream also works great)
1/8 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP dried dill (4 TBSP for fresh)
1 TBSP dried kelp flakes (crumbled nori sheets work fine)
OPTIONAL: hot sauce as needed


1) Chop or crumble the tofu however you want. I like to crumble it into dime sized chunks, but it's up to you how fine you want it.
2) Finely dice your onion and mix it with the tofu.
3) Add the dill and kelp and mix through.
4) Add the mayo, milk,lemon juice, and hot sauce if used. Combine until everything is thoroughly mixed.

Serve on a bread, in the hollowed avocado, or whatever. I'm eating mine on crackers right now.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment